Wimbledon, Strawberries and SilverStripe
As major sporting events go The Championships, or Wimbledon as it's commonly known, has got to be one of the biggest there is. All year long the AELTC are preparing for the 13 days of tennis that is watched globally by over 1bn people. At any one time there are an estimated 39,000 spectators in the grounds and over the duration in excess of 350,000 cups of tea and coffee will be poured.
A quick look through the facts and figures and you'll see why Wimbledon is the largest single annual sporting catering operation carried out in Europe.
- 350,000 cups of tea and coffee
- 150,000 bottles of water
- 207,000 meals served
- 230,000 glasses of Pimm's
- 190,000 sandwiches
- 150,000 bath buns, scones, pasties and doughnuts
- 130,000 lunches are served
- 100,000 pints of draught beer and lager
- 60,000 sausage baguettes
- 40,000 char-grilled meals served
- 32,000 portions of fish and chips
- 30,000 litres of milk
- 142,000 portions of English strawberries
- 28,000 bottles of champagne
- 15,000 bananas (for players)
- 60,000 portions of ice cream
- 12,000 kg of poached salmon and smoked salmon
- 7,000 litres of dairy cream
- 6,000 stone baked pizzas
(Facts and figures courtesy of Wimbledon)
Here at CSL Web we are very proud to have been involved in developing some of the web technology that's used in the restaurants and hospitality suites. Our work begins in November each year as we setup the online systems that are used for tickets holders to book lunch into one of the four main restaurants or purchase a hamper for two (new to 2015). Then shortly after Christmas we open up the hospitaltiy ordering systems for companies attending Wimbledon to arrange their hospitality packages for the 13 days of Wimbledon. Behind the scenes we process these orders and prepare the menus, hospitality plans, seating / table plans and restaurant orders together with a whole host of management information reports that are required.
We couldn't do this without SilverStripe behind our scenes, giving us a robust framework that we can scale rapidly as needed.